With the community growing and two structure fires the need for local fire protection was obvious. Several concerned citizens gathered at Henry Fliegel's home and organized plans for a volunteer fire company. And on March 18, 1948 the North Bethlehem Fire Department was founded.
The first Officers elected were Stephen B. Fliegel as Fire Chief, Robert Devine President; D. Cady Herrick II donated his legal services. Chief Fliegel donated the use of a building on Schoolhouse Rd., rent-free for two years.
The first fire truck was a 1923 Brockway Pumper, which was purchased from the Altamont Volunteer Fire Company for $450. The building was enlarged to house other equipment, including a 1935 Chevrolet Tanker purchased in 1949 for $150. And a 1935 Mack Tanker purchased for $50.
In 1952 with five hundred dollars in the bank and a lot of determination the members of the North Bethlehem Fire Department constructed a new building on Schoolhouse Rd. next to the first firehouse. The building was completed and dedication services were held on November 16, 1952.
In 1982 when the Town Boards of Bethlehem, Guilderland, and New Scotland the three municipalities covered by the North Bethlehem Fire Department services agreed to form the Elmwood Park Fire District. On April 29, 1982 by action of the New York State Legislature the Elmwood Park Fire District was created. The name was chosen because at that time the area on old deeds and plot plans was know as the Elmwood Park.