Please take a few minutes out of your day to complete some basic fire prevention and safety precautions:
- Make sure furnace / boiler’s have been inspected and tested by your certified HVAC person
- Have your chimney’s and vents cleaned and inspected (assert the fire wood is dry and seasoned)
- Keep a covered metal container to remove cooled ashes from wood burning fireplaces
- Children should stay away from Fireplaces a minimum of 3 feet while in use
- Space heaters are to be connected directly to an outlet “NOT” an extension cord
- Replace all batteries to your smoke detectors and test all smoke and carbon monoxide detection equipment for proper operation
Make sure if you are leaving your home for an extended period to set your thermostat to a minimum of 65 degrees, open cabinet door to kitchen and bathroom sink to allow heat in the cavity and have someone check on the home for heat loss as cold temperature can freeze water lines.
On behalf of the North Bethlehem Fire Department please stay warm and enjoy the rest of the winter.